Sunday 14 June 2009

The state of Anarchy

I find it particularly shocking that even the Judiciary now feel that it is appropriate to complain about the Government interference in the workings of the Police of this nation as outlined in this story, so I thought I'd have a quick rant about it, after all I'm an outspoken type of person so it works well.

Because I know you value your time I've included an excerpt from the story here:

  • Whilst summing up after sentencing a father and two sons for GBH on a man who criminally damaged their car, Judge Bray remarked; "Nobody bothers to phone the police anymore. They go round and sort it out themselves - and I know why. It's because the police no longer come round so people go out themselves and deal with it." 

Judge Bray has gone on to say a few other things, but in essense he's gone on to criticise the Home Office and the Police. While his criticism of the police has not been directly apportioning blame.

I feel kind of like it's 1 step forward and 3 steps backward for the police these days.

We start to make some progress and then it's all washed away in a media hailstorm.




So, why didn't police respond to the job?
In short, I don't know..

But I can tell you we've had robberies in progress and NO ONE to attend as everyone was committed. Yep, that's EVERYONE who was covering the entire area of our district. So where is the problem here?
Oh yeah.. firstly there aren't enough Police to cope.
Secondly we have far too much stupid paperwork and stupid expectations when it should be completed and how (I'll nag on the paperwork for "domestics" in my next post, you'll love it.)
Third we are covering areas far too large for the amount of officers we have available.
Fourth we spend far too much time chasing Home Office set Detections and making sure we can keep to our TARGET for the month instead of actually going out to be PROACTIVE in our patrolling! (Oh yeah, we are supposed to be Proactive but it's hard when you've got 12 crimes on your account that you are supposed to be progressing, you've got to update your "victims" every 7 days because the boss says so, and you still have to find the time to go out and find a bad person to arrest!!!!)

Let's get real.

Each shift of PC's needs someone who is employed to do our paperwork/reports etc. So I can come in, provide a copy of my pocket note book with the details for the domestic that I've just been to, that person then sits there and diligently adds those details on to the computer system, they fill out the relevant paperwork and submit it all for filing.. THEN that means that I (a SWORN CONSTABLE) can go back out on to the streets 3 hours earlier and perhaps STOP the idiots from the first part of Judge Brays problem causing the Criminal Damage in the first place.. Or perhaps turn up and arrest them prior to the original Victims of Crime going around and beating the living crap out of them!

INSTEAD this is what we get...



I'm just so pissed off that I'm not even going to make those links look nice. Just click them and you'll get the idea.
The government caps the budgets, cuts the budgets, causes police to cut money from one part of a budget and send it to another part of the budget just to keep things going. I think I will have to have a rant about this further at some point.. but at the moment I'll leave you with the feeling that yes, I'm pissed off.

So of course the public take action in to their own hands. I'm dealing with a guy at the moment for just the same thing, he grabbed someone and gave them a damned good telling off for damaging his property and I have to arrest him????? WTF!

The government proudly says that there are more police constables in this country than ever before. Yep, there is. That's great.
There is also MORE PEOPLE in this country than ever before. There is also MORE CRIME in this country than ever before. And when you work it out there is just 1 police constable per around 500 people. And while that looks really good I can go on for hours about how it's not, and perhaps that'll make another post next week.

It's frustrating as hell. No wonder I'm going grey!

5 comments:

  1. This is a bit of a note to myself..

    My next couple of rants need to be about

    Domestics (Paperwork) policy
    Why there are no police on the streets

    So stay tuned... (Oh yeah, you're on tenterhooks right?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Each shift of PC's needs someone who is employed to do our paperwork/reports etc. So I can come in, provide a copy of my pocket note book with the details for the domestic that I've just been to, that person then sits there and diligently adds those details on to the computer system, they fill out the relevant paperwork and submit it all for filing. THEN that means that I (a SWORN CONSTABLE) can go back out on to the streets 3 hours earlier and perhaps STOP the idiots..."

    Even a vague MOPsie like me can see this is what Response should have to help them. So why don't they? Is it an evidential thing?

    Pilots don't refuel their own aircraft; lawyers have clerks to handle their scutwork; doctors don't muck out wards; the Boys in Blue? Oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post,

    good comment above......you know what? Nothing will change ever. It's all FU'd. Hope you have adhered to the policing pledge/victim charter.best value etc. etc. and not just gone out catching criminals, heaven forbid!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if they getting rid of those people it is a pity it is not the people who sit in offices and invent targets and do useless work. Then that would get rid of about 200 people and allow someone to be employed to do the PC paperwork and allow the people that matter to get back on the street to do the real work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only bit of ur rant that i disagree with is "he grabbed someone and gave them a damned good telling off for damaging his property and I have to arrest him". No you don't. Was he exercising his any person powers of arrest? I'd bet you could square it that he was. If the slag that dinked his car/shat in his garden really wants to he can sue him. We have ours powers but they are discretionary. Never forget that. An automaton with C.S i am not.

    ReplyDelete